Arianna's Blog

Come listen to the ramblings and assorted babblings of a crazed mother and newbie author. It might not always be helpful, but it should be amusing.

Monday, October 09, 2006

D'oh!

What do you do when you've done something really stupid and have no way to make amends?
I'm not talking about with a friend, but with a perfect stranger?

Here's the situation:
I was driving on a four lane road, two lanes going north, two lanes going south. I was in the left lane preparing to make a left turn when a fire truck came up behind me, lights and sirens blaring. I didn't know what to do. I was in the left lane, was he going to come up on my right side or go around me on the left?

I froze in indecision, then at the last minute pulled over to the right.
I'm sure the firefighter driving the truck was cursing the idiot in the SUV who didn't get out of his way quickly enough. I felt like such a moron. And my husband is a firefighter! Heck, I was a firefighter years ago, and it made me nuts when people didn't get out of the way. I know better, darn it.

I guess I have a huge sense of karma because when I do stupid things I always feel the need to fix it. There have been times when I've cut people off in traffic and felt terrible when I realized how close I'd come to causing an accident. I'm sure I've contributed to my share of road rage out there.

Perhaps the best way to make amends is to be more forgiving when other people make the same mistakes I've made. Maybe they didn't mean to do it either and are apologizing in their cars just like I do.

What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home