Arianna's Blog

Come listen to the ramblings and assorted babblings of a crazed mother and newbie author. It might not always be helpful, but it should be amusing.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Learning something new every day

Last week my friend Summer Devon and I started teaching an online workshop about adding heat to your manuscript. We came up with all sorts of ideas and assignments and even developed a syllabus and lesson plans.

While I was trying to make a coherent lesson I realized that I don't know HOW I do what I do, I just do it. It's like trying to explain walking. I really had to go in and look at my editors' comments and think about what I've done in the past to make my erotic romance manuscripts hotter. Doing this has really given me some insight as to what I'm doing and what more I can do to help my manuscripts be hotter, more emotional, and more descriptive.

By explaining things to others, I'm teaching myself too. It's been a fascinating lesson for me so far. I can see where I've made mistakes and where I could improve, not to mention what I can do in my next book.

I've been a teacher for 14 years, and I always knew you could learn a lot from your students, but now I'm actually applying that learning and it's fantastic.

Now, if someone could just ask me to teach a class about weight loss so I could apply that too. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home