Arianna's Blog

Come listen to the ramblings and assorted babblings of a crazed mother and newbie author. It might not always be helpful, but it should be amusing.

Monday, October 16, 2006

The blame game

Oh yes, it's that time of the year again. What time do you ask? It's election time so the tossing and dodging of blame begins.

Or maybe just continues. Because I think it isn't just in politics that blame gets thrown about like a hot potato, but in life in general.

Pop Quiz! When was the last time you heard someone say, "It's my fault. I made poor choices and I accept responsibility for my actions." ?

Anyone?

If someone is caught cheating on their taxes, molesting a child, shooting a school full of kids, or whatnot, it's always some body's fault. Some body ELSE'S fault.

Granted, many people have been traumatized by their pasts, and many people don't have coping mechinisms in place, or have serious medical/psychological disorders that cause problems, BUT NOT EVERYONE DOES! Some people are just greedy, stupid, selfish, or plain evil. The decisions they make, they CHOOSE to make, regardless of who it hurts and by blaming it on the fact that they got cut from the baseball team in fifth grade is baloney.

I work with kids that have some SERIOUS issues. I mean, things have happened to these kids that you just can't imagine in your worst nightmares. Some of them put it behind them and move on, some use it as an excuse for why I should HAND them a diploma instead of earning one.

My response? Suck it up. There are plenty of people out there who are much worse off so get over it. When they whine (which they always do) I point out some of my English as a Second Language students who have come from war torn countries without a dime and no language skills at all who are plugging away trying to make a better life for themselves and their families. Most of them have lost more than one family member to war or poverty.

Sometimes it shuts them up, and sometimes they pout about how unfair I am. My response? If you want warm and fuzzy adopt a puppy.

I have made mistakes. Many of them. Legions of them. Some of them have been honest mistakes, and some have been poor choices on my part. There are many things I've done that I cringe about when I remember them. Many times I haven't made the right choice because I've been immature, greedy, or selfish. But I'd like to think that at my age I'm willing to accept responsibility for my actions.

It would be nice if some of the folks in the media would too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home