Arianna's Blog

Come listen to the ramblings and assorted babblings of a crazed mother and newbie author. It might not always be helpful, but it should be amusing.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Scary

It comes as no surprise to many of you that I bitch about my weight. Often and loudly. I guess if I spent more time working out instead of complaining I might have less to whine about, but that's not the point of today's blog.

A friend of mine, who tends to hear my whine about my dieting woes more than others, sent me a link to a promo for a documentary called Thin. This documentary follows a group of women at a treatment house for eating disorders. Some of these women weighed 85 pounds. All of them worried about gaining weight.

I've always had a love hate relationship with food. I love love love to eat. Some people eat to live, I live to eat. And then I feel guilty. And I make promises to myself about how I'll work out more and watch what I eat, blah blah blah. Is this a healthy attitude? Probably not. BUT it's no where near as bad as the little preview I saw.

I have to say, I was seriously disturbed and down right scared. How easy would it be to foist my bad attitude about food off on my girls? I hear so much about childhood obesity, but in a way this is much worse. I try to be careful about what I say so I don't make my girls neurotic, but now I'm going to be even more careful. Some of these girls started dieting at 11 or 12. My oldest is 9.

When are we as a society going to accept and even celebrate women of all shapes and sizes? When are we going to stop putting unrealistic body images only 2 % of the women in the world can meet on a pedestal as the beauty standard?

I was just whining about wanting to lose 25 pounds (again, sigh) and wanting liposuction. I think maybe I'm going to embrace my pot belly and celebrate the fact that I'm pretty darn healthy just as I am. That may not make me look good in a slinky dress, but honestly, it's better than the alternative.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know, this is timely for me.

    I watched a Whoopi Goldberg comedy thing in the wee hours of the morning last night. (Yes, I've become an insomniac, big time.)

    Anyhoo she did this one character, an older woman than myself, or even you, Ari, but she did it sooooo dead on.

    But she talked about that moment in life when you have to realize you will not be the most beautiful woman in the room any more. (This has nothing to do with you, Ari, you are gorgeous.) But that moment when you look and say, "This is who I am."

    The moment when you know you could starve yourself to high heaven, but to what purpose? Fitness is better than skinny. A healthy diet is better than skinny. Excercising knowing that muscle weighs more than fat is better than skinny.

    In my mind, lipo is not going to provide the thing I need most--a healthy view of me. The moment my mind accepts me as a valuable, viable creature, that's when everything else falls in place.

    Nips and tucks are never going to give that.

    Jewell, the rambling

     

Post a Comment

<< Home