Arianna's Blog

Come listen to the ramblings and assorted babblings of a crazed mother and newbie author. It might not always be helpful, but it should be amusing.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Simple Pleasures

I'm back from Atlanta, safe and sound and very happy to be home.

The conference was incredible and somewhat overwhelming. There was a lot of information to be had, networking to be done, and people to talk to. Even though I was there a day early, it still felt like I didn't get a chance to talk to my good friends as much as I'd have liked to.

I will blog about my adventures, and provided my buds send me their pictures, I'll even have some photos to share. (Yes Dorine, I know I should have been taking pictures, but my camera sucks.) But before I regale you with tales about my trip I have a little reflection I want to share with you.

When I woke up this morning, it felt so good to be in my own bed, with a clock that I could read with my near-blind contact-less vision. I got up and got breakfast for my kids then went outside to empty the garbage. On the way back in, I weeded my flowerbeds a bit and noticed the changes that happened over the week I was gone.

It occurred to me then how much I missed getting my hands dirty. I checked my email and I realized how much I missed having a computer at my disposal. I walked my older girls to camp and realized how much I missed being able to walk down the street comfortably with my hair a mess, no makeup, glasses on and no bra without worrying about running into an agent/editor/publisher that I wanted to speak to.

I love going to conferences. I'm a total extrovert and love, love, love hanging around with other writers and talking and laughing and drinking. I love learning about my craft and doing research and seeing friends I only get to see once or twice a year. I also love meeting new people and making new friends.

Usually, I have a period of let down once I come home. An emotional hangover, if you will. I miss my friends desperately and feel isolated in a world of non-writers who just don't get me. I'm sure that will come, probably as I'm catching up on all the laundry and housework that didn't get done the week I was away, but I'm so glad to be home.

Maybe I'm finally figuring out that I have everything I need to be happy, I just need to appreciate it more.

Ari

2 Comments:

  • At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I miss you, too, hon. Just remember we're always only an email, IM or phone call away!

    {{{hugs}}}

    K.

     
  • At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad to hear you're back, Ari :-) Can't wait to hear what went on at the convention.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home