Arianna's Blog

Come listen to the ramblings and assorted babblings of a crazed mother and newbie author. It might not always be helpful, but it should be amusing.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

I'm sooo not crafty!

Oh boy. I tried it again. As many of you know, I'm not exactly the most crafty woman to ever own a glue gun. The last time I used the sewing machine I broke the bobbin and haven't used it in almost six months.

Well, I decided to bite the bullet and get a new bobbin and see if I could use the sewing machine without sewing my fingers together. It took trips to three different stores before I got the right bobbin, but I was in business. It only took four tries to get the bobbin wound correctly, wo hoo! Now we're cooking with gas!

Sort of.

See, here's what happened. Right after Halloween I went to IParty and hit their half off aisle.I wanted to get a costume for the Ellora's Cave party at RT in May. I figured it would be much cheaper to buy the costume right after Halloween then have to order one on line later in the year. I picked up this little naughty nurse costume for like 6 bucks. Just in my budget, thank you kindly.

Wellllll what I hadn't counted on was exactly HOW naughty it was. When I tried the dress on, at first I thought there was a mistake and they only packed a shirt into the package. But no, that was the entire costume. I put it on and it was really cute, the only problem was, the bottom came to about an inch below my butt cheeks. If I bent over, the world would know exactly what color underwear I had on.

Now, I may get a little crazy at conferences, but I've never been much into exhibitionism. In fact, I don't really have the body to be mooning anyone. So in a panic I asked some of my friends what to do. The costume is really cute and I have some props to go with it from my daughters' medical kits so it would work out really well. I didn't want to ditch the costume, but I also didn't want to blind anyone because they got a glimpse of my glearingly white ass.

I got many suggestions, some of them more viable than others. What I decided to do was buy a pair of boy shorts to go under the dress. Since those would inevitably get seen at some point during the night, I bought red tape to make little red crosses to stick on each cheek.

Well, that looked cute, but it was still kind of short, so I bought some lace trim to put on the bottom of the dress, which is why I had to fix the sewing machine. I managed to sew the trim to the hem of the outfit, without maiming myself, and I successfully added an extra two inches to the dress! Yay!

It's still shorter than I would normally wear, but with the trim and the shorts on underneath, at least I won't get arrested for indecent exposure!

Now, if I can just lose 15 more pounds so I can fit into the costume and still breathe, life will be good!

Any of my buds have outfits ready for RT? Ideas for them?

2 Comments:

  • At 8:06 PM, Blogger Kris Starr said…

    But isn't the point of a Naughty Nurse outfit the fact that it *is* nearly indecent?? ;)

    No adding lace to the Cop costumes, you know. So you'd better be ready for those. *eg*

    (Of course, I'm one to talk, but I've still got time to prepare for that...)

     
  • At 1:31 PM, Blogger Mary Stella said…

    I'm sort of costume-challenged for RT this year, although I bought a great red dress that I hope to wear for the EC party. Oh, I know what I'm doing for the Dorchester Race/Harley party theme on Saturday. Thursday, I'm in Heather's show so I'll either be a vampirate or a wench or something. I'm looking for something now for the faery party you and others are hosting. Since I live in the Keys, I'm sure I'll find something appropriately tropical for the luau.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home