Arianna's Blog

Come listen to the ramblings and assorted babblings of a crazed mother and newbie author. It might not always be helpful, but it should be amusing.

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Say it isn't so!

I've been reading a lot of books lately, and as sometimes happens, I've found a theme running through them. Now, I've been reading books by very different authors so finding this theme was rather surprising to me. I'd understand it if it was one particular author, but it was at least three different ones.

The jist of the theme is that as a woman grows older her value decreases, and conversely, as a man grows older his value increases. The idea is that a woman is measured by the shape of her body and her physical beauty, whereas a man is measured by his income potential.

SAY IT ISN'T SO!!!

I think this is CRAP! Now granted, I'm 35 so the idea that my value is decreasing as my waistline increases is rather depressing. Maybe I'm just in denial, but I don't think so. First of all, I wasn't that attractive when I was younger anyway so if my value goes down with each birthday I'm in a lot of trouble.
But also, I think as I've grown older I've definitely "come in" to my "womanhood." I feel stronger for having born three children and for survivng a multitude of difficulties I could have never imagined at the age of 22. I know now that I can manage on my own with or without my husband. I may not LIKE it if I didn't have him, but I'd be able to survive just fine. I'm not so sure he could say the same thing. . .

Have I mentioned he doesn't read my blog? hahahahahahaha

Maybe in a society that would bet thousands of dollars on a bra worn by Britney Spears perky boobs and a flat stomach are all that matters, but I'd like to think there are plenty of men out there who would value me as much for what I have in my head as for what I have in my pants.

Then again maybe I'm delusional. Denial isn't just a river in Egypt. . .

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this one!!!

4 Comments:

  • At 8:29 PM, Blogger Toni Lea Andrews said…

    Personally, I think my value has increased because I'm no longer on the market.

    Seriously, people want what they can't have. I'm not terribly interested in doing anything just to please someone else. Therefore, everyone seems to be trying to get me to do something.

    Therefore, at 46, I'm more valuable than ever.

    Bu the time I'm 80, I should be PRICELESS.

     
  • At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like Toni's attitude! It's been pointed out to me that, let's say on the news, that you'll see the older man anchorperson, but it's always someone young and pretty that's the woman anchorperson. Same for actors and actresses. Not right.

    For me, I just think I get better as I get older, and that goes for all of us. I don't think I really came into my own until I was 35, and good, er, 5 years ago. It's amazing what some life experience will do for you.

    Hugs,

    Chey

     
  • At 9:16 PM, Blogger Mary Stella said…

    I'm definitely a more complete, dynamic, confident woman in my 40s than I was in my 30s or 20s. Doesn't mean that all aspects of society value me as such. Screw 'em is my response. However, Ari, I explored the same thoughts in Key of Sea. The heroine had to learn to value herself again at 39, no-longer-size-4, than she did when she was in her 20s.

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger Kate said…

    just wait until you're invisible....

    actually it has some major advantages. you should HEAR some of the conversations I get to listen to now that I no longer register on the Younger Human Scale.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home