Arianna's Blog

Come listen to the ramblings and assorted babblings of a crazed mother and newbie author. It might not always be helpful, but it should be amusing.

Monday, October 24, 2005

Girl Groups Rant part deux

I'm a little tired right now, but I need to rant. If this post comes out snarky I apologize in advance. Sort of. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but I'm not sorry about the way I feel.

Here's the situation. . . A friend of mine--who shall remain nameless--volunteered for a Board position on a RWA chapter. During the course of the running of the chapter lots of misfortune dropped on her. I mean health issues, a death in the family, rejections-- you name it. Anyway, because of all of this she had to resign her position.

Well, while she was AT HER GRANDFATHER'S FUNERAL some of the other board members proceeded to send snarky emails about her on the special email loop they'd created to communicate with one another. Only THEY FORGOT TO TAKE HER OFF THE LOOP. So, she comes home from attending a funeral out of town and checks her email and sees all these comments about how she's being a slacker and other things she didn't tell me but I'm sure we all can guess at.

Now I know when you're a board member there is a ton of work to do, and absolute boat load. It's no fun when someone who's helping man that boat leaves. I'm not trying to say people aren't justified in griping when someone leaves a job and now their workload is tougher.

But come on people!!! Show some compassion!

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm only upset because this is my friend and they hurt her feelings. Maybe if the shoe were on the other foot and I was one of the hard working volunteers and someone quit their job on me I'd be bitching on a loop too.

Then again, I doubt it. First of all, I'm so swamped with my kids, my jobs, writing, and trying to take care of ailing and elderly relatives that I really can't volunteer any more than I do. Second, I'm not cut out for working on a board. I hate meetings, I don't like to argue endlessly over minutia (I'm sure I'm spelling that wrong.) and when push comes to shove, I'm lazy and don't want to work that hard.

But I still wouldn't pick on someone who'd already donated a bunch of time and energy to set things up if they had to leave suddenly.

There, rant over. I think I'm going to bed now, it's been a long, long day and I'm not even on a board!
Ari

3 Comments:

  • At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is just so un-called for and so unprofessional, besides the fact that it's just plain mean. TG we have had terrific boards that keep it professional. I've been prez this year and we've had some pretty wil things happen, but we've kept it professional.

    And after all your friend has done for the chapter, that was just awful.

    Hugs to both of you,

    Chey

     
  • At 10:15 PM, Blogger Mary Stella said…

    I've served on chapter boards and on the RWA National Board.

    The behavior you described is just plain tacky and unnecessary.

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Blogger Arianna Hart said…

    MARY !!!!! Are you home? Are you safe? I need to do some blog hopping but I've been so busy that I can't even see straight. Hope your house survived Wilma! Stay safe!

    Ari

     

Post a Comment

<< Home