Arianna's Blog

Come listen to the ramblings and assorted babblings of a crazed mother and newbie author. It might not always be helpful, but it should be amusing.

Friday, November 25, 2005

First Impressions

They say you never get a second chance to make a first impression, but some times I think you get a second chance to evaluate a first impression. . .

I'm a snap judger. When I meet people there are times I'll make an immediate judgement call. It's not usually fair or based on logic or anything else, I just get a "feeling" about someone and instantly I know I'm going to be friends with them or that I'll NEVER be friends with them.

Am I always right? Heck no. In fact, there have been times I've been completely wrong. For example one time I met an author--a famous author--and I thought she was very stand-offish and so me, being the insecure twit I am, thought she was stuck up and I thought all sorts of nasty thoughts like "I hope if I ever get that famous I don't act like that."

Well, it turns out I was 100% wrong. She turned out to be one of the nicest people I've ever met and I'm so glad I kept my mouth shut. She was very kind to me and I came to find out, somewhat shy. Did I feel like an idiot for thinking the wrong thing of her? You bet I did.

Has it stopped me, probably not.
I am trying though, honestly. I'm trying to be more like my friend Beth Ciotta. I don't think I've ever heard her say a bad word about anyone. She is truly a kind person who always looks at the good in people.

I'm not quite there yet, but I'm trying to withold judgement longer at least.

We'll see how long it lasts, hahahahahaha

Ari

5 Comments:

  • At 9:46 PM, Blogger Mary Stella said…

    Keep trying, Ari, but you've set the bar pretty high. *g* I've been friends with Beth for 10 years and she has always been the kindest, sweetest, most sensitive woman.

    (Not that you aren't already a nice person, Ms. Hart!)

     
  • At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I tend to see the good side in most people, which is good and bad. I've been blindsided so many times in the past with people who turned out to be not so nice. Of course that really hurts. So there's disadvantages to that side, too.

     
  • At 2:00 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    Huh. I thought you were pretty good at this being fair thing. I mean jeez, you at least admit you were wrong about the Big Name Author.

    [and apropos of nothing-- I've added you to my list on the side]

     
  • At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ari and I clicked from the minute we met, huh, chickie~poo? I look for the best in people but depending on the day, or the time of the month :) it doesn't always happen. I have a friend who is like superwoman, supermom super everything. I hated her for about a year because she intimidated the hell out of me. Guess what? When I got over my insecurities, she and I became great friends. I look to her as an inspiration, not as competition and she serves as a reminder that I'm often *gasp* wrong...

     
  • At 11:50 AM, Blogger FerfeLaBat said…

    See. And I can't help but look for the evil in people. For some weird reason I'm more comfortable if I can find that glimmer of badness. I instantly adored Chey's mother. Long story. Had to do with Judi McCoy killing a relative with bad thoughts. Judi is another person I instantly fell in love with. I am still looking for Chey's wicked side. Beth C? It will never happen. Mary Stella ? Has it but buries it very well. And you? There's a badness in there that called to me immediately in the hotel hallway. It's ellusive and I am not exactly sure how it manifests itself, but it's definitely there. Maybe in Daytona.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home