Arianna's Blog

Come listen to the ramblings and assorted babblings of a crazed mother and newbie author. It might not always be helpful, but it should be amusing.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Faster than the speed of gossip. . .

I just finished reading Junes's ROMANTIC TIMES BOOK REVIEWS magazine. I enjoy flipping through it every month, especially if I have a review coming in. This month I really enjoyed reading about how far the magazine has come in the last 25 years. There were a bunch of pictures from the early years and it was a blast to see some of the people I think of as icons in their younger and (maybe) wilder days.

As I was reading I started thinking about all the stories and tales I'd heard about the early years of writing romance. The lack of respect, money, and circulation, and the almost total isolation. It got me to thinking about how would I survive without my writer friends? I'm counting the days until I see my buddies at RT (5!) I don't know how I'd handle it if I didn't get to email them daily (sometimes hourly).

Writing is a lonely business. I don't belong to any local chapters (yes Kate, I'll join eventually) so except for the random (and I do mean random) lunch date, I don't get to see other authors except at conferences twice a year.

I'm very new to the writing gig. I only submitted my first novel 4 years ago. (It was rejected, by the way.) The thing I think we newer authors have that the veterans didn't that makes the most difference in our business isn't the money (I'm still waiting for that) the respect (it's getting there) or the circulation, it's the INTERNET.

Besides the growth and development of organizations like RWA and magazines such as RT, we newer authors (I don't dare say younger) can connect with hundreds of peers, fans, and business associates right from our own comfy chairs. We can bitch and moan, whine and complain to people we've only met in person a handful of times. We get support, sympathy and congratualtions from friends all over the world without having to get on a plane.

Back before the internet explosion, it seemed to me that authors were kept in the dark about the goings on of other authors and other publishing houses. Keep in mind, this is only from what I've heard from different veteran authors, but they all have similar stories. Now, if one author gets a three book deal with a fat advance, everyone knows about it before she can tell her spouse. Authors have more information at their fingertips than ever before. In fact, in one case I remember hearing about the closing of a line before authors and agents OF THAT LINE heard about it. How? On a message board.

The internet has changed this business in so many ways, from ebooks (thank you GOD!) to on line review sites, to writing groups and yahoo groups. When I was in college there were very few people who even knew what the internet was. That wasn't THAT long ago folks. I wonder what changes will come to the industry in the next 12-15 years?

This may be my last post until after RT, things are a little hectic here. I'm going to do my best to take pictures this year so I'll post them when I get home!!!

For all you moms out there HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!
Have a great week and I'll see you soon!
Ari

4 Comments:

  • At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Isn't it wild how the internet changed things? I wouldn't have the wonderful crit partners that I have today if it wasn't for the web.

    Looking forward to seeing you at RT!

     
  • At 2:30 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    I'll pay your damn dues if that's what it takes.

     
  • At 2:33 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    and buy a pitcher of margaritas--although by the time you get back, that probably won't be an appealing idea.

     
  • At 11:03 PM, Blogger Beth Ciotta said…

    Happy Mother's Day, Ari!!! See you soon!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home