Arianna's Blog

Come listen to the ramblings and assorted babblings of a crazed mother and newbie author. It might not always be helpful, but it should be amusing.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Words can hurt

Something I remember my mother saying to me, and something I say to my children has always been, "Remember, words can hurt."

It seems to me that some people have forgotten this lesson.
No, I didn't just get a bad review or a rejection. I bring this up because a good friend of mine just read on someone's blog that they were shocked that her book had finaled in the Ritas. (Or something to that effect)

Now, I didn't read the blog entry, so I don't know for certain what it said or who wrote it, but I don't think it was a literary critic or a reviewer.

Why would you ever say something like that in a public forum? I can be as bitchy and catty as the next person, but I manage to keep it private. I would never say something rude and potentially humiliating where everyone and her sister could read it.

What makes people think just because they have a blog it's okay to be mean? I don't care who you are, if your words are going to be seen by anyone with an internet connection, you have a responsibility to control your mouth. Unless you can back it up with some irrefutible facts, shut your big gob.

Words can hurt, so if you can't say anything nice, don't say it on the internet.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:36 AM, Blogger Caffey said…

    Oh so true! I always told my kids too that if you say it, you won't be able to take it back.
    Thats so sad tho too, because I always believed that what I read, was a personal desire and we have different ones and that doesn't make others bad, just not our preference. So for someone to say that, it even hurts me and I don't know who it is.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home