Arianna's Blog

Come listen to the ramblings and assorted babblings of a crazed mother and newbie author. It might not always be helpful, but it should be amusing.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

High School

How many of you can remember back to your high school years? How many of you remember them fondly? I loved high school, I changed so much in those four years. The stepping stones of my personality were laid during that time, to be built up and added to by heartache and life experience.

What sometimes amazes me when I work with my students is how they can't see past the immediacy of the NOW. I try to reason with them and explain this is just a tiny part of their lives.

"Your life expectancy is at least 75 years, probably more. High school is only 4 years of that time. A drop in the bucket."

"You don't understand, you're OLD."

The scary part is, I completely remember what it was like to feel like the world was ending because I got a bad grade, got dumped, couldn't get a date, etc. It doesn't take much for me to remember those heartbreaking emotions swamping me.

Damn, am I glad that shit is OVER! hahahahha

I love working with teenagers. It has taught me a lot about life, probably more than I have taught them. Now, when I get a rejection letter or a bad review or things don't turn out the way I'd like, I try to see this as just a drop in the bucket in the overall scheme of life. Sure, it hurts right now, but in a few weeks/months/years the pain will fade and I can look back on it as another building block.

I hope.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:54 AM, Blogger Mary Stella said…

    I have many great memories of my high school years. I don't want to repeat them, but I like having the positive memories. *g*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home