Arianna's Blog

Come listen to the ramblings and assorted babblings of a crazed mother and newbie author. It might not always be helpful, but it should be amusing.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Unfit mother?

Sometimes I wonder if I'm warping my children. My husband and I decided when I was pregnant with my first that I'd work part-time so the kids wouldn't be in day care. At the time he was traveling a lot for his job and it didn't seem right for them to be gone all day while I worked.

I sometimes wonder if it wouldn't have been better for them to not be around me so much, hahahaha.

I was on my way to nursery school today, my 4 year old in the back seat, and we were listening to Shrek. One of the songs came on that has a heavy punk/metal beat to it (this is the song where Donkey and Shrek are fighting the knights in the mock wrestling scene if you know the movie) and automatically my head starts banging. (As in "headbanger" not as in "headache"). My darling daughter shouts "Youder mommy youder!" (translation: Louder--she doesn't always have her L's.)

I look in the rearview mirror and she's headbanging in her car seat. So, the two of us are flying down the highway with the radio cranked doing matching head movements. I'm quite sure several cars on the highway were calling the Department of Children and Families to report the insane driver with the child in back. . .

The other thing that has me worried about my fitness to be a parent is my older two daughters' taste in clothes. I blame this on Barbie.

I had to buy a pair of stilletto heels to go with my costume for the EC party. Now, I haven't worn heels that high since I got out of college. For one thing, they hurt my big feet, and for the other thing, I'm tall enough as it is. And, well, I'm married, I don't have to go through that much pain to get a date anymore, hahahaha.

Anyway, I got the shoes in the mail (yes, I had to order slut shoes off the internet.) and immediately the girls are hovering over me as I open the box. Of course I had to try them on. I was wearing sweat pants at the time, but hey, I was in my own room.

Middle daughter says to me, "Mommy, you can't wear pants with those shoes. You need a dress."

Eldest daughter says to me, "Mommy walk. You need to go step, step, pose!" And she placed her hand on her out-thrust hip and looked over her shoulder.

My daughters are 8, 6, and 4!!! THEY SHOULD NOT KNOW THESE THINGS YET!!! I swear to you, they have no idea what I write, honest!

Good thing I write under a pen name or DCF would be on my doorstep for sure!!!

In other news, I'M GOING TO SEE THE GOO GOO DOLLS TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll tell you all about it after the holiday weekend! Have a great Easter/Passover or whatever else you may celebrate!
Ari

3 Comments:

  • At 6:17 PM, Blogger Kris Starr said…

    I'M GOING TO SEE THE GOO GOO DOLLS TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    You're NOT!! You bugger! I'm ecstatic for you!! Remember, no propositioning Johnny now, okay? ;)

    I guess I don't have to wish you a fantastic time, huh?? :)

    Come back with ALL the details!!

     
  • At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ROFL! I have all boys, as you know, 3 of 'em, and I haven't had that experience. LOL

     
  • At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ooh, Ari, wait until your daughters get to be teens and they critique EVERYTHING you wear. "Mom! God! Untuck your shirt. That looks so stupid. No one tucks their shirt in anymore." That is usually followed by a grumbled "still livin' in the 80's" comment.

    However, they do occasionally borrow my shoes :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home