Arianna's Blog

Come listen to the ramblings and assorted babblings of a crazed mother and newbie author. It might not always be helpful, but it should be amusing.

Friday, January 06, 2006

Public speaking

I am not a shy person. At least I'm not shy unless I'm around a stunningly good looking guy, which doesn't happen too often. I'm a teacher so speaking in front of people doesn't bother me at all. When you've had to teach a roomful of kids who are drug dealers, on house arrest, or ex-cons talking to adults who aren't trying to kill you is NOTHING.

That being said, tomorrow I'm giving a talk at the local RWA meeting. I know a sum total of one person there. When the president of the chapter asked me to speak I said no problem. I told her I could talk about the fire service, punching up fight scenes, or writing erotica. I honestly thought she'd pick one of the first two.

Nope.

So tomorrow I'm going to talk to a room full of people about writing sex.

Now, considering I've written any number of books which have all had sex in them, you wouldn't think it would be that hard.

Well it is.

I like to read hot books and have for years. Heck I was reading about sex long before I even knew what some of the things they were talking about were. I naturally write hot, it's not something I consciously decided to do, it just happens. That isn't to say my editor hasn't stepped in and said, "increase the intensity here, give more detail there" etc. but you get my point.

I feel like a big fraud standing up in front of a group of people and trying to pretend I'm an expert at this. Regardless, I have made up handouts and sort of know what I'm going to say. I should probably write up some cue cards but I doubt I will. Heck, I still have to figure out what to wear! And I have a big, huge zit on my chin too. Lovely.

Sigh, this professional author thing is tough to fake. . .

4 Comments:

  • At 9:37 AM, Blogger Mary Stella said…

    You don't have to be an expert -- but you are experienced at writing erotica. Who better to talk about it in front of your peers? You can do it, Ari!

     
  • At 9:32 AM, Blogger Kris Starr said…

    You will be brilliant -- as always!

    But you must post how everything went for those of us who must live vicariously! :)

     
  • At 9:32 AM, Blogger Kate said…

    You did beautifully and I didn't see any zit, you liar.

     
  • At 9:33 AM, Blogger Kate said…

    and I'm getting pressure from the president to coax you to join. . .(the chapter president, not W)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home