Arianna's Blog

Come listen to the ramblings and assorted babblings of a crazed mother and newbie author. It might not always be helpful, but it should be amusing.

Monday, May 29, 2006

we interrupt the RT memoirs to bring you. . .

some thoughts on Memorial Day. . .

I promise I'll go back to the "good stuff" tomorrow, but I just feel the need to express some thoughts I had today.

Today is Memorial Day in the United States. The unofficial start of the summer and a day full of parades, picnics, and fun. My husband marched in our local parade with the fire department, and I sat on the side lines with my kidos and watched everyone go by.

As the Veterans of Foreign Wars went by and the local Army unit marched in front of us with their color guard, I made my girls stand up. The man next to us looked at me like I was deranged when I forced my girls to stand and clap. I explained to them when they whined that they were showing respect not just to the men and women in front of us, but to all the men and women that had gone before them.

My grandfather was the second to last man drafted in World War II, two of my uncles came home from Viet Nam, and my husband's uncle did not. My father was in the Air Force, my father in law, and brother in law were in the Army, and my sister still is. My other brother in law was in the Navy, and I have several friends either former military, currant military, or military spouses. For me, showing respect for our armed forces is very personal.

I am not a political person. I hate political discussions, am not a registered anything, and for the most part vote according to whim. I almost always vote for the underdog (like the Green party) and avoid advocates from either side of the fence like they carried the plague. That being said, I will always support the troops. Whether or not I agree with the person or mission that sent them into danger, I will ALWAYS support the men and women who put their lives on the line so I don't have to. That includes police officers, fire fighters, and members of all the branches of the armed forces.

I am not the least bit embarrassed to have made my children stand to show respect for the flag, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Happy Memorial Day.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:19 PM, Blogger Mary Stella said…

    Good for you, Ari! I always stand for the flag and I still put my hand over my heart for the National Anthem.

     
  • At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Same here. Love you, Ari!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home