Arianna's Blog

Come listen to the ramblings and assorted babblings of a crazed mother and newbie author. It might not always be helpful, but it should be amusing.

Friday, April 08, 2005

Still waiting. . .

I freely admit I'm not a patient person. I hate to wait for anything. I hate waiting for Christmas, hate waiting for the computer to boot up, hate waiting for the microwave to ding. Knowing this about myself, I cannot for the life of me understand why the hell I became a writer. Well, other than the fact that if I didn't write these stories down my head would explode.

Anyway, for those of you who don't know what goes on behind the scenes of a writer's life, I'll fill you in.

IT'S ALL ABOUT FREAKING WAITING!!!!

First, you write your story, sweating blood with every word until it's as good as you can make it at that point in time. Then you send out a query letter to a publisher, and so the waiting begins!

Depending on the house, after you send the query letter in, they'll either reply with a rejection (sob!) or a request for a full manuscript or a partial manuscript (Yay!) This can take anywhere from a week to six months.

Let's say they ask for a partial, which is the first three chapters of the book. You send those in and wait some more. This can take up to six months in some places. Then, you either get rejected (sob!) or a request for the full manuscript. (Yay!)

So, you send in the full manuscript and wait again. This wait can be UP TO A YEAR! Then you can get rejected again, asked for revisions, or bought! Yippee!!! OR at any point in this process, they can lose your submission AND THE PROCESS STARTS ALL OVER AGAIN!!!

Now, does this sound like a profession for someone with no patience like myself?????

I have two manuscripts on editors' desks that were requested in March of last year. Now, that being said, one of them didn't get to the publisher until June and the other had the partial requested in September and the full sent in in December. STILL, it's a long freaking time!

Sigh, I need to find a way to put it out of my mind. I've written two other books and had one released since those two manuscripts went out. I'm working on my third now. I guess that's all you can do. I try to be understanding, I mean the editors who get these books have a million other impatient souls like myself sending in manuscripts every day. At least that's what I tell myself!

But ARRRRGGGG I'm so sick of waiting!!!
Hahahahahaha
Guess I'll go wait some more. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home