Arianna's Blog

Come listen to the ramblings and assorted babblings of a crazed mother and newbie author. It might not always be helpful, but it should be amusing.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Cynicism Alert

Just a warning, I'm going to be breaking my normal "non-confrontational blogging rule" with this post. Generally I try to keep my posts upbeat and refrain from my somewhat sarcastic nature as much as possible.

Actually, in general I try to avoid confrontational issues as often as I can because I usually don't have all the facts and can't add anything to a discussion. What's the point of getting into a debate when I have no idea what's going on? I like my rose colored glasses and refuse to take them off in order to read about murder and mayhem in the newspaper. Is this the right thing to do? Probably not, but it's keeping me out of therapy so I'm going with it.

BUT in this instance I need to say something. . .

I've been watching the coverage from down south on hurricane Katrina. The devestation and destruction down there is just heartbreaking to see. Many people I'm familiar with if not necessarily friends with on different author loops have lost EVERYTHING. My friend Angie has no idea if she'll have a home to go back to.

Now I ask you, what foreign countries are going to offer aid to the United States to help us through this disaster?

How many millions of dollars have Americans sent over to help tsunami victims? Earthquake victims? Not to mention anyone else who has some sort of calamity either natural or manmade?

I'm not even talking about the help the government has given using our military personnel, I'm talking about collections that the American people have taken up on their own and sent overseas.

Do you think the people in France are putting up little jars at their grocery store checkout lines for donations to hurricane Katrina victims?

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe my PMS has caused me to be cynical. If there are any readers from other countries, I'd love to hear what they think. I'm just very curious as to how the rest of the world will react when we need help.

My father, a very wise man, once told me that there are givers and takers in this world. I've seen this truth played out over and over again throughout my life. Now I have to wonder, who gives back to the givers?

I'd love to hear your thoughts. . .
Ari

9 Comments:

  • At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can only vouch for Germany, since I live here, but there are definitely donation drives happening. I'm American, but have contact with a lot of German people who are devastated over the destruction hurricane Katrin left behind.

    The German government actually sends out tons of money to other countries for natural disasters. In fact, they give money to so many people, for various reasons, that the country is slowing going broke. I haven't read anything regarding Katrin, but I'll let you know if you do.

    I know things like this can make us feel hopeless and alone, but I honestly believe that the world is slowly starting to realize that we have to look out for each other. When the tsunami hit, Germans donated millions of dollars. They had televised fund raisers, etc. I assume the same will happen now, too.

    Just so you know. :-)

     
  • At 6:06 PM, Blogger Bernita said…

    I believe I saw a list of countries over at Yahoo who were offering relief.Quite a number of them.
    Canada has, certainly, as it has before.
    What annoys me is that Canadians have almost always helped out in natural disasters, with private money, public money, blood and physical help in terms of experts and crews,hydro, cops, engineers, construction, and the like and then I will read the claim that no one ever helps the US - just as if we never did.
    There has long been a tradition of quiet help, going both ways between our two countries.

     
  • At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, Arianna.

    I thought you might find this interesting.

    In like of the tragedy of Hurricane Katrin, around 20 countries, France included, have offered aid to the US in form of money or man power so far. Germany, Japan, China, Canada and Russia being among them.

    BUT President Bush declined.

    He said the US could take care of their own and didn't need help.

    Maybe you should think about writing to him. I mean, who in the their right mind would turn down help in a time like this? I'm sure the thousands of people without food, water or shelter appreciate that decision.

     
  • At 8:16 AM, Blogger Arianna Hart said…

    Wow! Thanks for all the comments on this! My faith in humanity has been restored! Glad to know that when there's a need humankind pulls together no matter what the nationality!

    Sydney, I'd be really interested in knowing where you heard this. My sister is in the army and works with FEMA (emergency management agency)and I hadn't heard about Bush refusing help. If you could get me a reliable source so I have some facts I definitely will write a letter.
    I'm afraid quite often the facts get distorted and I don't want to write a scathing letter only to find out I only had half the truth.

    Thanks so much for making me feel better about humanity!
    Ari

     
  • At 1:49 PM, Blogger Bernita said…

    Canada's DART teams ( Disaster Assistance Response Teams) are on stand-by, the Canadian Red Cross is organizing hundreds of workers to assist the American Red Cross, just as an example. Oil production.
    I believe that a White House spokesperson Scott McClelland is quoted on CP as saying that the US "is open to all offers of assistance".
    We will be happy to supply it, as little or as much as will be needed and effective, so cheer up.

     
  • At 10:51 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    Cuba offered and Venezuela and a bunch of "enemy" countries...

     
  • At 9:40 AM, Blogger Arianna Hart said…

    I wonder how come it takes a disaster to make people come together like that? If we can put aside our differences to accept and/or give aid when there is a disaster, why can't we do it other times?

    Whoops, there I go again! I knew I shouldn't have let that cynicism genie out of the bottle!

     
  • At 1:51 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Arianna,

    The article was from a German news website. It listed the countried that offered aid and then a comment from Bush thanking them, but saying he thought the US could handle it on its own.

    In the meantime, I believe he's broken down and taken the help. At least I spoke to a woman here today whose son is in the German military and was over there helping. I don't know if he was there as a civilian or shipped in.

    In any case, I agree with you that situations like this bring the world togther. Now we've got the typhoon in Japan and China.

    Get the feeling Mother Nature is pretty pissed off?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home